A wow celebration dessert, I made this for Christmas Day and am finally getting around to posting the recipe.
There are three parts to the recipe. The base, the cream and the raspberry layer. It does take a while to make so doing it the day before is best.
1 1/4 cups almond flour
3 tablespoon stevia and erythritol powdered (Nativa, Swerve or whatever you like to use)
1 tspn baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tablespoons melted butter
5 egg yolks
1/2-3/4 cup of stevia and erythritol powdered (Nativa, Swerve or whatever you like to use)
1 Vanilla bean or 2tspn vanilla extract
1/2 tspn Xanthan Gum
400gm frozen or fresh raspberries
1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
bowl x 2
25cm flan pan – with removable base
- Add dry ingredients for crust to a bowl and mix
- Almond flour, Sweetener, baking powder and salt
- Once mixed add eggs and butter and stir.
- Cover base of flan pan with baking paper
- Press almond base mix into base of pan evenly
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes at 180c /375f until lightly browned
- Allow to cool completely.
- To make Creme Patisseriere use medium sized saucepan
- Add cream, vanilla seeds and sweetener heat to a simmer not a boil.Then remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks.
- Remove Vanilla pod from cream mixture.
- Pour half of cream mixture into egg yolks whisking quickly and constantly then pour egg and cream mixture into saucepan with remaining cream mixture and put back on the heat. Add Xanthan gum and stir constantly until the mixture thickens and turns glossy. Once thickened remove from heat and let cool a couple of minutes.
- Once cooled slightly pour onto cooked base in flan pan. Cover with plastic wrap to stop a skin forming and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled and set remove from fridge and discard plastic wrap
- In a small saucepan add raspberries, sweetener and Xanthan gum and simmer for 4-5 minutes until you have a rich raspberry sauce, if you want you can force it through a sieve for seedless raspberry but I like the chunks and seeds so I just leave it as it is.
- Let it cool for a couple of minutes and then pour over the top. Back in the fridge for a couple of hours and its ready.
- This is a long one to make as it has to rest between each layer but it is for special occasions and totally worth it. I make it the day before the event. Don’t remove from pan until you are about to serve it. If left out on a hot day it will start to soften and melt. So take out 1 hr before serving as it is better not fridge cold but don’t leave it out all afternoon.
On Christmas day there was Pavlova, Chocolate Mousse cake, Plum pudding (all carbs) and my keto Raspberry Flan – guess which was the favourite? My keto flan!
Net Carbs 5.2gm
Cal 336 / Kj 1406
Nutritional Information is ‘by best estimate’ I will not be held responsible for an errors.